Footballer Benjamin Mendy is a French professional footballer who primarily plays as a left-back. He was born on July 17, 1994, in Longjumeau, France. Mendy is known for his athleticism, speed, and attacking prowess from the left-back position.
Mendy began his professional career at Le Havre in France, where he impressed with his performances and caught the attention of larger clubs. In 2013, he moved to Marseille, where he continued to showcase his abilities and developed into one of the most promising left-backs in French football.
In the summer of 2016, Mendy made a significant move to AS Monaco. He played a key role in Monaco’s successful campaign in the 2016-2017 season, helping the club win the Ligue 1 title and reach the semifinals of the UEFA Champions League.
Mendy’s performances at Monaco attracted the interest of Manchester City, and in July 2017, he joined the English club. Mendy became a crucial part of Manchester City’s defensive unit and contributed to their success in the Premier League, where the team won several titles.
Throughout his career, Mendy has also represented the French national team. He made his debut for France in 2017 and has since been a part of the squad in various international tournaments, including the 2018 FIFA World Cup, where France emerged as champions.
It is worth mentioning that my knowledge is based on information available up until September 2021, and there may have been developments or changes since then.
Former Manchester City footballer Benjamin Mendy has been found not guilty of rape and attempted rape.
The France international was accused of raping a 24-year-old woman in a bedroom at his multi-million-pound mansion in Cheshire in October 2020.
He was also charged with the attempted rape of a 29-year-old woman at his home two years earlier.
Mendy, who had denied both charges, was found not guilty by the jury of six men and six women at Chester Crown Court. He said the encounters had been consensual.
The footballer was in “absolute tears” after hearing the verdict, “coming out of the court hugging his friends who were here to support him,” Sky News correspondent Inzamam Rashid said outside court.
“It was a short deliberation by the jury. They were sent out at 10.40am this morning.”
A statement read outside court by his solicitors said Mendy “would like to thank the members of the jury for focusing on the evidence in this trial rather than on rumour and innuendo that have followed this case”.
They said Mendy has remained strong for almost three years since the police began investigating allegations made against him, but the process has “inevitably had a serious impact on him”.
“This is the second time that Mr Mendy has been tried and found not guilty by a jury. He is delighted that both juries reached the correct verdicts.”
At his retrial, prosecutors said Mendy would host parties and social gatherings at his £4.2m home The Spinney while under contract at Manchester City.
The court heard Mendy had met a British student in a nightclub in Barcelona in 2017. She became close with a friend of Mendy’s and arranged to visit him at the footballer’s home the following year.
After a night out she alleged Mendy tried to rape her.
But the footballer told the jury: “I asked her if we are OK to have sex. She told me, ‘No’ because of my friend.
“I was like, ‘It’s fine, my friend says it’s OK, so if you want, he’s OK with that’. It’s when she started to be like that – upset, sad. I just left the room.”